This soup is a firm favourite at Quest. Enjoy this nutritious, delicious, easy soup.
Red lentils need no pre-soaking and cook much more quickly than other dried legumes. The high protein content in lentils makes them an excellent meat substitute. Lentils are an excellent source of fibre, manganese, B vitamins, help prevent heart disease and can help you balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy. Best of all, they make a fantastic and easy soup.
Makes 6 portions
- 1 brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 yellow capsicum
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano leaves
- 1 bayleaf
- 400 gram tin crushed tomatoes
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 cup dried red lentils rinsed well
- Salt and pepper
- Crumbled feta and fresh parsley to garnish
- Dice the vegetables and sauté them softly in the olive oil.
- Add curry powder, cumin and basil and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes and vegetable stock in and add the bay leaf.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add lentils and let simmer another 10 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crumbled feta and fresh parsley.
We serve many other delicious and healthy soups and meals on our wellbeing programs at the Quest for Life Centre.