Enjoy this lovely adaptation of Petrea’s Chocolate Hazelnut cake recipe from Food for Life.
- 300g dark Lindt chocolate, chopped
- 200g unsalted butter
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup of raw or brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of hazelnuts, whizzed in a food processor until fine
- 1/2 cup of Zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup of Beetroot chopped
- 1 cup of wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- chopped hazelnuts, grated chocolate and orange to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius
- Brush a 22cm round cake tin with melted butter or coconut oil.
- Line the base with baking paper.
- Gently melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan, stirring until smooth.
- Using electric beaters, whisk the egg whites until stiff
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a medium-size bowl
- Using the electric beaters (no need to wash from whisking the egg whites), whisk until creamy.
- Fold the hazelnuts and zucchini through the chocolate mixture until well combined
- Fold in the flour and baking powder, then using a metal spoon, fold through the stiffened egg whites, and pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate with chopped hazelnuts and grated chocolate.
- Serve with segments of fresh orange.