Connect with your senses with this zesty hot saucy pudding. With lemons and limes in abundance, this is a perfect recipe for cooler nights. Easy to whip up, it’s bound to be a hit and easy to adapt to gluten-free diets.
Serves 6 – makes 1 large dish for sharing or 6 individual ramekins.
- 125g butter at room temperature
- 220g (1 cup) raw sugar
- 1 lemon, fruit juiced and rind finely grated
- 3 limes, fruit juiced and rind finely grated
- 4 eggs, separated
- 65g (5 tablespoons) plain flour (or gluten-free flour mix), sifted
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) milk
- Coconut cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Lightly butter a 2-litre souffle or ovenproof dish (or 6 x 250ml souffle dishes or ramekins).
- With an electric beater, beat the butter, sugar and citrus rinds until creamy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time until well combined. Beat in the citrus juices.
- Using lowest speed, beat in the flour and then the milk. The mixture will be a thin batter consistency at this stage.
- Separately, whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form. Lightly fold into the citrus butter mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish or ramekins. Place dish(s) in a roasting pan and add enough boiling water to the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the dish(s).
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes if using one large dish, or 25 minutes for 6 smaller dishes, until puffed up and a creamy sauce has formed under the sponge topping.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the thick part of the coconut cream and whisk until it thickens slightly.
- Serve pudding warm with coconut cream on the side. Delicious with fresh berries or pomegranate.
For more inspirational recipes like this, see Petrea King’s Food for Life
Quest for Life’s residential program Healing Your Life offers a recipe for peace and happiness in your life. Discover Healing Your Life