Hearty and comforting, risotto is perfect for an easy winter’s meal. The slow stirring of rice and stock is very soothing and the sweet and earthy flavour of pumpkin and mushrooms is simply delicious.
This delicious risotto is quick and easy to make with plenty of flavour.
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms
- 250g button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g pumpkin, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- About 7 cups hot vegetable stock
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 75g freshly grated parmesan
- Soak the porcini in 1 cup of near boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid to combine with the stock, and finely chop the porcini.
- Pan-fry the quartered fresh mushrooms with a drop of oil and reserve.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes or until nearly tender. Add the rice and porcini to the saucepan and cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Combine the stock and the porcini soaking liquid in another saucepan and simmer. Stir a ladle of hot stock into the rice mixture and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock and stirring, one ladleful at a time, until the rice is creamy and cooked. Add more stock if necessary.
- Stir through the cooked button mushrooms and grated parmesan and serve in warm bowls.