LIFE & HEALTH CHALLENGES
Are you concerned about losing your memory or have a family history or genetic predisposition to dementia? Are you caring for someone whose memory is failing them? Maybe you just think you’re getting a little forgetful or that what you’re experiencing is just a part of getting older.
If you would like to understand the changes happening to the brain when memory and focus is failing, or just interested in learning how to improve your brain function, we can make a profound difference in your life.
What is Dementia?
- Dementia is not one singular disease. It is several symptoms caused by various disorders that collectively affect the brain.
- It affects brain function and could impact a person’s thinking, behaviour and ability to perform everyday tasks. As a result, both normal working and social lives could also be impacted.
- The most common types of Dementia include Alzheimer’s disease, Vascular dementia, Lewy body disease, Frontotemporal dementia and Alcohol-related dementia.
Symptoms of failing memory
- Behaviour and personality changes
- Progressive and frequent memory loss
- Loss of ability to perform simple everyday tasks
- Up until now there has been no way to effectively treat early dementia.
- Early diagnosis, support and care are important for people with dementia and their families
- Your choices contribute either positively or negatively to your brain’s health. No matter what state your brain is in, you can improve its functioning.
- Speak with your GP or other trusted and qualified health professional and attend Quest for Life’s Reclaiming Your Brain Program
- Call 000 if your life is in danger
- For crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14
- Beyondblue website contains many useful forums and resources
- Dementia Australia provides support to healthcare professionals, families and carers alike
HOW QUEST FOR LIFE CAN HELP
No matter what state your brain is in, you can improve its functioning.
Join us for a fascinating new residential program – Reclaiming Your Brain!
Learn more about ways to help your brain to function optimally, improve your memory, concentration, life-long curiosity, factors that contribute to poor brain health and things that help it to function well.
Quest for Life knows how to help: our research results show that participants feel better after attending a program and that this improvement increases over time.
Our Self-Paced Online Courses – Befriending Anxiety; Beyond Burnout and Healing Sleep – provide practical, positive and easy to follow guidance and advice. They encourage and help you to identify and implement strategies to build your resilience, and to incorporate these into your own personal plan for each course.
Some of these practices can help you to calm your mind and improve your wellbeing and can be found on our toolkit page:
- Keys to help you sleep better
- Meditation practices
- The Four Keys to resilience and peace
You may also find some of Petrea King’s Podcasts useful to listen to.
- Wellbeing books including Your Life Matters by Petrea King – a guidebook for life
- Meditations including Be Calm, Sleep, Learning to Meditate
On our programs, you’ll be nourished, educated and supported to create an environment for profound healing.
Back to Life & Health Challenges